The METIS Labs molarity calculator is a useful tool which allows you to calculate the:
- mass of a compound required to prepare a solution of known volume and concentration.
- volume of solution required to dissolve a compound of known mass to a desired concentration.
- concentration of a solution resulting from a known mass of compound in a specific volume
Calculate the mass, volume or concentration required for a solution
The molarity calculator is based on the following equation:
Mass (g) = Concentration (mol/L) x Volume (L) x Molecular Weight (g/mol)
An example of a molarity calculation using the molarity calculator
What is the mass of compound required to make a 10 mM stock solution in 10 ml of water given that the molecular weight of the compound is 197.13 g/mol?
- Enter 326.83 into the Molecular Weight (MW) box
- Enter 10 into the Concentration box and select the correct unit (millimolar)
- Enter 10 into the Volume box and select the correct unit (milliliter)
- Press calculate
- The answer of 32.683 mg appears in the Mass box