Radioligand Binding Assays
Radioligand binding assays are used to characterize the binding of a drug to its target receptor. They can provide information on both the affinity and mode of interaction of the drug with its receptor. For example, radioligand binding assays can provide information on whether the test drug is binding to the endogenous ligand binding site or is instead acting on another allosterically coupled binding site, such as a blocker of the receptor-coupled ion channel.
Types of receptor binding experiments that may be performed:
Saturation Binding experiments, where binding of an increasing series of radioligand concentrations is measured at equilibrium and analysed to determine its binding constant (affinity constant; K, or dissociation constant; Kd) and the concentration of specific binding sites for the radioligand (BMAX).
Competition Binding experiments, where the binding of one or more fixed concentrations of a radioligand is measured at equilibrium in the presence of an increasing series of concentrations of a non-labelled compound and analyzed to determine the half maximal inhibitory concentration (IC50) and the equilibrium inhibitor constant (Ki).
Kinetic Binding experiments, where the binding of one or more concentrations of radioligand is measured at an increasing series of time points, and analyzed to estimate association (kon) and dissociation (koff) rate constants.
Equilibrium dialysis (EqD) is useful for binding studies with soluble targets and small molecules. In other binding assays, when a target is immobilized or part of membrane fragment the free ligand can be easily washed away, but this is not possible with soluble targets. However, if placed in a chamber with a dialysis membrane then bound versus free ligand can be distinguished when binding has reached equilibrium.
Key details of our binding assay services:
- Gold standard filtration assays.
- Over 100 targets covered.
- Single concentration screening or dose-response for IC50 determinations.
- Percent inhibition (mean of replicates).
- Individual values as a percent of control, IC50 value (calculated from a minimum of 6 concentration testing).
- Quick turnaround times of 1-3 weeks depending on project types.
- Plotted IC50curves.
- Proven skills and expertise to develop difficult targets.
- Reliable, quick turnaround times.
- High quality data with strict quality controls.
- Flexible custom services to supplement our off-the-shelf services to meet your needs, providing a cost-effective way to expand your capabilities and capacity.